Monday 9 March 2015

ALL THE WORK

You may find this hard to believe, but this isn't my real job. STOP THE PRESSES. SHOCK HORROR.

I know some of you will be taken aback by this news, but really, I earn not a penny doing this. I write for funs, not for monies. But monies would good people.

Outside of the internet, in that pesky real world that's always trying to interfere, a bit like the dog when you're... busy in the bedroom. My job that does give me monies is one in a hotel. Now, if I stop there, you think, "Ooooh look at that swanky fellow, must be quite the man if he's working in a posh 4* star hotel. Oh yes." Well, unfortunately I can't stop there, I must go on and your opinion of me maybe about to diminish. 


I am a room attendant. No, that doesn't mean I have a register and call out room numbers all day to see which rooms have called in sick and which ones have a note from their parents saying they can't do anything today because they have a slight injury.


I'm the best-looking, funniest, fastest, most brilliant, greatest, longest serving, most humble and most loyal full-time male room attendant they employ. I'm also the only full-time male room attendant they employ, but that's not the point.

Room cleaning. A proper dead-end job. A job most people would turn their noses up at. A job on a par with working in McDonalds or a well known supermarket. (Yes, I will give McDonalds the plug. Their milkshakes. Their Chicken Nuggets... Drool) ANYWAY the point is I do a job most people wouldn't dream of doing and hate it when they have to.

However, here's the thing, come closer so I can whisper,

I love my job.


YES. I actually love my job. Let me elaborate, I generally dislike people, certainly customers, so in a job where the only time I speak to a customer is to say "Good Morning" or when they've asked me for toilet roll or something.


Here's my day. I get to work, I get my board with rooms that I have to clean that day. Whilst cleaning my rooms, I put radio 2 on until 12:15pm, then I flip over to watch Bargain Hunt. Then I come home at 2pm. It's great. I go to work, listen to music, watch TV and get paid for it. Obviously I'm cleaning while I'm working. I only have to talk to my supervisors pretty much so everyone leaves me alone to get on with it.

There's so much good to come from my job. Music, TV, no customers, little responsibility and a job where I can come home when I finish rather than sitting at a clock staring, waiting for 5pm to roll up.

Like everything though, it's not all rosy-sweet juicy goodness through the rose tinted looking glass. There are downsides to my job. Firstly, I GET PAID ABOUT NO MONEY. It's minimum wage so it's not great. Secondly, I can never plan my so ultra busy social life because my days off are so inconsistent. Thirdly, half the people I work with are foreign, this doesn't bother me until they try to communicate with me in a different language. You'd think they'd have learnt that I only speak English and any other forms of communication are wasted on me. I've only been there 3 years. 

I hate ambitions, because you either achieve them, in which case, so what? Or you don't, in which case you become depressed and miserable at your failure in life. However, my ambition in life is simply to be happy. That applies to all areas of life, financially, health wise, life-style choices and ultimately where I work.

Yes I don't have much money and yes, sometimes I do think I can do better. BUT then I'll get a really good day, and I'll enjoy it so much that it just confirms to me that I'd rather get little money for a job I enjoy rather than one that pays a bit more but I don't like. 


You work for most of your life, if you don't enjoy what you're doing then you're in for a very not fun time. 

That's all for now.

Cheerio,

Stevie.

No comments:

Post a Comment